Tuesday, September 14, 2010

That Book Woman by Heather Henson

When the Book Woman comes to the front doorstep of Cal's Appalachian farm, the last thing Cal will do is ask to borrow one of her books.  He's not a book boy by any means.  Cal fills his days working on his family's Appalachian farm instead of reading like his sister and attending school lessons.  Only Cal's sister is excited for each visit of the Book Woman.

After the Book Woman arrives through a treacherous winter storm, Cal decides he must try out one book to see what the fuss is all about. Under his sister's tutelage, Cal becomes engulfed in the world of reading.  In the spring time when the Book Woman returns, Cal's mother givers her a homemade berry pie "for making two readers outta one."

Heather Henson's tale is a delightful story of how reading can intrigue anyone.  Henson's use of Appalacia's southern dialect adds a special touch touch and even a challenge to the reader to bring out her southern twang.  In teh concluding author's note, Henson writes how her story "Was inspired by the true and coragoes work of the Park Horse Librarians who were known as "Book Women" in the Appalachian mountains of Kentucky."  With regional libraries at our fingertips, I have not often thought about access to free books prior to establishment of libraries.  The Kentucky Book Women have become some of my new heroes.  I am indebted to Henson for introducing this part of history to me.

David Small's soft watercolors somehow capture the sharp features of Cal's discontented face whenever he thinks about reading.  When Henson begins to write about the rain and snow the Book Woman travels through,  Small extends the text through darker illustrations reflecting the Book Woman's difficulty to get through the storms.  It is through Small's illustrations that we see the completed character development of Cal and how he comes to love books.

From the challenged reader who thinks reading is "not cool" all the way to the reader who absolutely loves books, That Book Woman is a joy for all.

5 comments:

  1. Ok, so I swear I posted on all of your blogs but for some reason they aren't showing up so I'll do it again. That will teach me to use the School of Education computers.

    I will have to read this story!!! I have a lot of family connections to Eastern Kentucky and the Appalachian area. My grandfather is from there, my aunt and cousin lived there, and my dad went down there after law school to work as a legal aid attorney helping those who couldn't afford to hire their own attorney. After him and my mom got married they lived there for a year. I'm basically related to 2/3 of the town of Pikeville down there.

    For those of you who don't really know Kentucky geography, Eastern Kentucky and the Appalachian Mountain area are known through-out the state as the most poverty stricken part of the state. A number of years ago there was a huge push to provide better social services to the area, but it continues to be the poorest area. I had never heard of a picture book about this area, and just reading about this one has touched my heart. I can't wait to get started reading it. I already have it reserve on the library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bring it in for you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had never heard if a "book woman" either, but now I really want to get this book and find out more. Do you think this book would be a difficult read aloud because of the souther dialect? I guess I have taken for granted that we do have books so easily at or fingertips. Jennifer your background is quite interesting too! Great book Naomi! There are so many that i have never heard of!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need a book woman. All this access to books I have from Swem to the public library but I choose not to take advantage of it. The book sounds great and I want to read it first for myself and then for my future students who may not be book lovers.

    ReplyDelete