Friday, December 3, 2010

Chingis Khan by Demi

My favorite period of American History is the Colonial and Revolutionary Periods, and when this week came to read a biography, I immediately gravitated towards the children's biographies on George Washington and Ben Franklin.  Then, I stopped myself.  Surely, not every child in my classroom will pick up a biography on a Revolutionary figure.  So I searched a bit further, scanned the shelves at the library, and my eye picked up on a glimmering gold binding of the biography of Chingis Kahn.

I'm afraid to admit I knew little of the details of Chingis Khan's conquest before reading the picture book biography Chingis Khan.  In fact, the last time I studied any history of the Mongolian Empire was in high school in tenth grade world history.  I was delighted to run across this biography.  Any knowledge I obtained in tenth grade was quickly forgotten, as I had no motivation to commit to memory the details of my history textbook.  Demi, however, presents the conquest of Chingis Khan through an intriguing narrative accompanied by colored-pen illustrations with a symbolic presence of gold.

Chingis Khan, born along the Onon River in 1160, originally was named Temujin.  His father, Yesugei, was the leader of the Great Mongol Clan, which at that time was one of many clans in Mongolia.  Demi shares Temujin's prowess at an early age: archery at five, hunting at six, and the responsibility of the tribe at nine due to the death of his father.  At this point, the illustrations which previously had great usage of a gold pen, now lack the presence of any gold.  For the next several pages, as Temujin struggles to keep his position and his tribe alive, the illustrations are almost monotone.    Not until the Blue Sky God responds to Temujin's prayer to become the most powerful tribe leader of all, does the gold return.  Demi then describes Temujin's rise to power as the leader of one tribe to become the "Emperor of Heaven" controlling all in Eastern ASia as far as the eye can see.

Demi's work has been praised by many.  She has illustrated Hans Christian Anderson fairy tales as well as many books of her own.  Demi's books often provide a great opportunity to present other cultures and countries' histories in the classroom.  Some of her other authored and illustrated titles include The Magic Boat and The Empty Pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment